Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, May 7, 2018

Pigs and Dogs

My family is beginning a new round robin. There are eight of us this time plus we are making a surprise quilt for my mom out of her birthday fabric she got from us two years ago.  She has decided that she can't piece any more, so we will make one for her.  

Here is how it works.  Everyone sent me enough fabric of their choosing to make a queen sized quilt.  I came up with a rotation schedule and sent the fabric back to someone else in the group.  It is fun to not know who is planning your quilt, so that is why they all sent to me instead of to each other.  The person who receives the fabric decides what quilt to make out of it, makes 7 kits with the quilt completely cut out and some strip units already made, sews up the first kit, and passes it onto the next person.  We pass once a month and will finish the end of January skipping December.  Each month as you receive a new quilt, you sew up the kit and add it to the other assembled blocks.  The rule is that the owner of the quilt gets a completed top at the end minus borders.  It is so much fun and really brings us closer together.  The participants are my sisters, sisters in law, a daughter, a niece, and a friend who is really a part of the family.

I had so much fun seeing everyone's gorgeous fabric and drooling over it as I received each package and mailed them out.  I will post more on the fabric I received, but here are four of the blocks I have started on.  I am doing a "farm animal" quilt complete with cows, dogs, pigs, goats, barns, birds, sheep, and chicken.  I am using my Buggy Barn/Crazy patterns that I recently purchased.  I had to make up the dog and pig blocks for my section because I shrunk them down and wasn't exactly certain what the finished size would be to fit the rest of the quilt.  The dogs still needs applique' nose, bone, and button eyes.  One dog will be sitting in a doghouse with a chicken on top.  I forgot to insert the ears on the pigs so they don't look so good right now.  I will be fixing that, adding eyes and a tail.  I promise the pig is going to be so much cuter.  

I still need to cut out all of the fabric, make some small stars, and create the instructions, but I have a great start.






I am linking up with:

BOM's Away
Monday Making
Moving it Forward Monday
Main Crush Monday

3 comments:

  1. The doggies are really cute. Must see if I have that book. I'm thinking 3 -d ears for the piggies. Wouldn't that be cute too? That's an interesting way of doing a round robin. It will be fun to see what comes from all of the packages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such a fun family project. The dogs and pigs are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight seems about the perfect size for a round robin – enough to make a good size but not so many it becomes unwieldy.
    I love the fabrics in the one you are working on now. They are just my cup of tea. I am sure the pigs will look fab when they have eyes and are no longer blind!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.